My wife and I are fond of long drives which quite often is accompanied by our pawy ‘Pepper’. Like any other dog, Pepper loves to enjoy the natural beauty by keeping her head outside the window waving her tail. Well in this trip to Kiradu Temple, Pepper was at home!
Abandoning our work domains, my wife and I headed for an unplanned spontaneous trip to Kiradu. As we left the scarcely populated town of Barmer, the peace and serenity made our drive even more romantic and our conversations more closer to our hearts. The takeaway from this trip was not only going to be the experience of visiting the historical monument but also the memories that we were weaving together.
After an hour of drive, we reached Kiradu. Located in the Thar desert, the Kiradu Temples are the remains of five temples of which the Somashwar Temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva, is the best preserved one.
As said, the temples were built in 11-12 century by the vassals of Chaulukya Monarch. The temple exhibits incredible architectural masterpiece. Certainly, these temples are befitting for any photoshoot!
There goes a legend associated with Kiradu Temples. The Kiradu was deserted because of curse of a sage. The sage left behind his disciple to the care of the people of Kiradu but except for a potter’s wife no one carried out the sage’s wish. The sage cursed the town but told the potter’s wife beforehand to leave and never turn back. Out of curiosity, she turned to take one last look at her hometown and was instantly turned into stone. The outskirts of the town have a stone statue purported to be her.
Don’t turn back when you’re leaving from Kiradu!
Important links and details
- Official Website of Rajasthan Tourism: http://www.tourism.rajasthan.gov.in
- Make My Trip Rajasthan: https://www.makemytrip.com/holidays-india/rajasthan-travel-packages.html
- Nearest Police Station: Ramsar, Rajasthan 344502: 02985 270 124
- Nearest Govt Hospital, Sihani: 077428 59029
- May be you can get help of Couch Surfers: https://www.couchsurfing.com/
- To know more about our travel experiences: http://travelstyleandtechnology.com/travel-3/